Author Topic: Help- Pictures to slideshow (with transition effects and music).  (Read 4141 times)

uncle*wally

• Regular
    • View Profile
Does anyone on this forum create slideshows from their Gimp'ed still images?
I would like to attempt this and would like a recommendation or two on software that people use to create slideshows. Transition effects would be great as would the capability of adding background music.

PhotoComix

• Lives here ;-)
    • View Profile
Re: Help- Pictures to slideshow (with transition effects and music).
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 03:39:00 am »
I use Xnview ...the windows version is really a sort of swiss knife for graphic (Viewer,/organizer, converter ..and does much else from batch processes to creation of  slideshow on the fly...you may just drag and drop the files or indicate a folder, add some music ,save also as video )
I know that there is a beta also for mac and linux , but not if is so complete

Free not OS

Rolf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 12:08:36 pm »
Joel Conuz has written about making a DVD slide show: http://jcornuz.wordpress.com/2008/01/22/producing-a-dvd-slideshow/ .

If you want to arrange the images in sync with the music, I would consider cinelerra and produce a video. There you can also add zoom and pan effects.

I should make a show about it.

monoceros84

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 01:08:44 pm »
I should make a show about it.

That would be cool. I always managed to push such work to others whereas I did the photographing and editing. So I have absolutely no clue about creating a slideshow/ presentation... ;)
Cheers,
Mathias

Visit this site about my photography, my experiences in Norway and my blog:
http://www.gedankenquirl.de (German language)

uncle*wally

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 05:27:22 am »
I have taken up Rolf's suggestion and successfully downloaded cinelerra.  I have not a clue how to use it.  My attempt to load an .avi video file may have been successful, but I couldn't see anything or do anything with it.  I admit to not yet having read any of the user documentation. It appears to be quite a professional GUI and I look forward to a possible future MTG episode as it relates to making professional slideshows.

This link:

http://cinelerra.org/getting_cinelerra.php

was very useful in downloading the software which was not in any of my standard repositories. ( I am still using Ubuntu Intrepid.)

I ended up with two versions of cinelerra-  1. with xcb   2. without xcb. (again no idea what the difference is).

Rolf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 11:06:47 am »
cinelerra is a bit picky with file formats. I'll have to search for the conversion file I made for my old camera.

And I'll do a video about this soon.

rich

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 12:16:38 pm »
I read this thread a few days ago and now I've looked at Rolf's video on using Cinelerra.

This is a great example of this editor but as Rolf says at the end of the show "It is a beast of an application".

If you want your photographs as a slide show and perhaps burn them to a DVD for playing on a TV then

For windows users - DVDslideshowGUI is where you go. Has more transitions, effects, than you will ever need.
http://download.videohelp.com/tin2tin/

for linux: this also works using WINE.

Again for linux, a simple video editor which also has a slideshow function is ManDVD. Its really a front end for the command line dvd-slideshow utility and is the one I use the most.
Can be a bit picky regarding dependencies but I have it up and working on my Mepis machine. Some Ubuntu files here
http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/linux/ManDVD-Review-51807.shtml

Its been a while since I last visited the jcornuz site, the java app he mentioned was terrible to use and 'Manslide' has terrible dependency problems with my setup.

rich

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 03:34:28 pm »
Yes, I had a review of the jcornuz page and nothing much has changed, still a good starting point however.

A few things regarding his bullet points. AFAIK dvd-slideshow script now works with ac3 sound as the ffmpeg bug has been fixed. Still best to use mp2 in my opinion.

The link to ManSlide does not work but it is easy to find with a google search. On my Mepis8 machine I remember that it would look like it was working but would not produce anything. Looks like the output went to the great computer in the sky.

One correction to my post, ManDVD is of course a DVD authoring tool, not an editor.