Author Topic: Frame factory script  (Read 1486 times)

rayadagio

• Script Magican in Residence
  • Lives here ;-)
    • View Profile
    • galery
Frame factory script
« on: May 18, 2013, 04:55:39 pm »
The thread by savvy reminded me to complete my frame factory script that I started to create quite a while ago. I picked up a recipe presented in a PS tutorial by Jeffery Saddoris (http://fadedandblurred.com/tutorials/details-building-a-realistic-photo-frame-in-photoshop), translated it to terms of Gimp and added some features and options. The script works on copies of your image, the original won't be touched. So you can easily create numerous different versions of frames and keep the ones you like. If you don't flatten the results you can also adjust the frames after running the script by changing the opacities, colours and textures of the underlying layers. Here are some of my samples: http://rayadagio.de/framefactory.html
The code is not very sophisticated yet and it is surely to enhance and beautify in a next step. So I'm keen on your feedback :-)

Best regards,
Bert

Gimp menu location: <Image>/Filters/Decor/Frame Factory
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:55:45 pm by rayadagio »

savvy

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Frame factory script
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 01:23:56 pm »
Hi Bert,

This is another fantastic script, allowing for many options.

I did some testing for you, and found one behaviour that I don't think you intended. I don't think it will be encountered very often, as most people using this will want a mat with some thickness.

However, I was trying to get only a flat translucent black mat within a black border.

Parameters :-
Max Image size : 1024
Border colour/style : Black
Custom border colour : Black
Border width : 3

Mat Size : 12
Mat Thickness : 0  (it is this that causes the "Effect")
Mat Colour/style : Translucent
Custom Mat Colour : Black
Mat Texture : None
Vertical Image Offset : !0%

No Title
No Flatten Image

What this does is fill the cutting edge glas layer with White, which of course puts a white haze over the photograph.  Any other value apart from zero in the Mat thickness, leaves this layer transparent apart from the very small white "thickness border" as intended.

That's the only "issue" I have found so far, and the frames look very professional  :thumbsup:

Rgds.

Les.

Rolf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 07:50:44 pm »
Bert, the results of that script are looking gorgeous!

With the one with the telephone in it you should have used museum quality non reflective glass. It's expensive, but works quite well!

(I have to confess that I took some time thinking "How did he get these reflections into a script?" before I found non of them on the matte......  )

savvy

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 08:46:02 am »
Bert,

I've been playing with your excellent script some more, and it produces beautiful frames.

You said in your first post you wanted to enhance it and were keen on feedback.

If you are looking for enhancement suggestions, as well as the zero matte size issue I already reported, here are a couple I think would be useful, having worked with it more now :-
  • Have a "Reset" button to put all the parameters back to defaults
  • Be able to save and name "presets" of your favourites containing all the parameters used, and to be able to call them from a preset/favourites dropdown
I hope this is helpful.

Keep up the good work.

Rgds.

Les.

rayadagio

• Lives here ;-)
    • View Profile
    • galery
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 10:42:12 am »
Thank you both for your pleasant feedback!

@savvy: Your bug report was helpful, there's indeed a mistake in the code that is easy to fix. I'm currently also writing an alternative algorithm for finding fitting colours in auto-mode, so I will upload the modified and fixed script soon. Perhaps I will manage as well to add an option for saving and reading presets, which is really an excellent idea. I'm not sure if it is possible to implement this by simple Python-Fu-scripting or if it is necessary to build a separate GUI. For the reset-button (which is also a great suggestion) I'm sure that a more complicated plugin has to be created, since the GUI of ordinary scripts is not able to react itself on user actions. As a temorary solution the script settings for all used scripts can be reset in Gimp's Filters-menu ("Reset all Filters").
BTW: welcome to this nice forum, where (as you already realised) there is currently way less activity than it used to be. Perhaps your entries help to reactivate the forum and to call back some old fellows. Thank you for your contribution! :-)

@Rolf: Hehe, I'm happy that the glas reflections look like a believable fake ;-). Infact the image was shot through a window and the polarisation-filter was left home. It would be nice to create a subtle and convincing imitation of glas reflection. I think Philippe could tell us how to do this, couldn't he?

Best regards,
Bert

savvy

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 03:04:21 pm »
Bert, thank you for the welcome, and your kind words.

I look forward, very much, to the next version of the Frame Factory  :)

BTW, I used it already on one of my entries in a PP Challenge today, a BW Split Tone conversion in one of your frames!!   8)

rayadagio

• Lives here ;-)
    • View Profile
    • galery
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 05:57:40 pm »
Les, I really like your image. Very interesting atmosphere, perspective and toning. Well done!

I replaced the script in the initial posting. The bug is fixed now and the method of finding auto-colours is modified. In the former version the script used a kind of averaged values, which mostly resulted in brownish colours. Now the auto colours are calculated on the base of the dominant hues in the image. For the border the most frequent colour is used in a full saturated and darkened version, for the mat the second dominant colour is used in a light and desaturated version, as it can be seen in the attached sample.
To make the script presettable and resettable a higher effort is necessary. Maybe I will find some time for this later ...

Best regards,
Bert
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 06:02:50 pm by rayadagio »

savvy

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 09:08:23 am »
Hi Bert,

Thanks for the new script - nice!!  Also, I'm glad you liked my split-tone PP Challenge image.

I've noticed another behaviour that doesn't seem quite right.

If I choose a matte of colour Cream, and a texture of Burlap, I don't get a Cream Burlap Matte, I get a shade of light grey burlap matte.  This is because the grey burlap "texture mat" layer, above the cream "colour mat" layer, in Darken Only blend mode, imposes its own colour too much, if that makes sense?

I tried it with a white/burlap, auto/burlap, black/burlap - the white and auto also came out as a shade of grey, and the black surprisingly had a different effect, it came out very black with no texture. The Auto in the landscape I used came up with a colour mat layer of lovely mint green, but the final textured mat was a shade of light grey.  All the light greys are different, indicating that some colour is getting through, but not enough (apart from the Black situation).  If I alter the opacity of the texture mat layer, I can get the colour to come through, but lose the burlap texture too much.

HTH.

Rgds.

Les.

rayadagio

• Lives here ;-)
    • View Profile
    • galery
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 07:06:42 pm »
HTH.

Yes, it does! :-)
Thank you for your great commitment, Les!
You are absolutely right. The texture should not affect the colour. To be honest, my selection of the layer modes for the texture layers is not based on theory. I just tried out some versions and as we can see, the results are not satisfying in many cases. Further trials lead me to prefer multiply-mode. This does not seem to affect the colours. However, the texture becomes less visible if the mat is in darker colour. Are there some experts in layer-modes around who could verify my assumption that multiply-mode is appropriate for the texture layer? Or are there other suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
Bert

RobA

• Regular
    • View Profile
    • Cartocopia - Fantasy Mapping by RobA
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 02:40:48 pm »
Hey Bert -

Nice script!

Would it be possible to have linear frame textures (like Pine) rotated on the horizontal frame parts?

Attached is an example of what I mean....

-Rob A>

rayadagio

• Lives here ;-)
    • View Profile
    • galery
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 07:30:22 am »
Hi Rob!

Good idea! Your sample looks great!
I'll try to add this option to the script.
However, it might take some time since I'm currently on vacation ...

Best regards,
Bert